Monday, September 26, 2011

Disney Pirate

My son loves all things pirates. Doesn't matter what pirate he loves them all. His favorites are Jack Sparrow and Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates (Disney). There is tons of girl dress up clothing out there but not a lot of boy stuff. So I decided to make Jack a Jake costume that he can wear when he is pretending to be a pirate. I didn't have a pattern I just made it up but I was pretty easy.

SHIRT
First I took a white collared shirt that had a few stains on it. I cut off the sleeves in a zig zag and I cut off the collar. Then I cut the button strip off the front of the shirt. I sewed up the the middle of the shirt about 2/3 from the bottom with the right sides together. I also stitched the open edges down to even it out. Then I cut holes in the top open section and threaded some leather stripping.






VEST
For the vest you will need:

3/4 yard navy blue felt
1 package of yellow quilt binding
4 yellow buttons

Step 1: Begin by tracing a t-shirt creating a pattern. You will only need the front and back, no sleeves. Then I used my white shirt collar to create a collar pattern. Next you will need to make 2 triangles for the front part of the collar. Pin all your pattern pieces to the felt and cut out your pattern.
***For the back you need to cut on the fold. For the front you need to cut two pieces. For the collar and triangles cut 2 of each piece. I also cut under wonder for each piece, to give it the stiffness.

Next attach the under wonder to 1 of each of the triangles and collar piece. Then you will attach the other fabric pieces creating a stiff collar and triangles.

Now you will attach the under wonder to one of each triangle and the collar piece. Then attach the other triangles and collar piece. This will make the pieces stiff. Don't worry about the raw edges, they will be covered by the binding.

Step 2: Attach the shoulders of the front and back right sides together.Step 3: Attaching the collar

Now you will attach the collar to the vest right sides together.
Press the collar up and lay the vest down with the front facing up. This gets tricky...Attach the triangles to the front of the vest and the collar.
Step 4: Attaching the binding.

Now you need to pin the binding all around the vest. You will need to do it in pieces and several times you will need to finish off the binding to make a nice edge. If you need directions on this see here.

Sew it down to the vest and add your buttons.

DONE! Add some basic blue pants and a red scraf...Arrrhhh.




8 comments:

Crystal Spencer said...

I love it! My son loves Jake, so maybe I'll have to get out the sewing machine and try this.

*Jeana* said...

love it..I need to learn how to sew..very creative..Would love for you to share at my link party "Creative Halloween Ideas"
http://jeana-marie.blogspot.com/2011/09/creative-halloween-ideas.html

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

This is great! My little one likes Jake and the Never;and Pirates, too! (she also likes the strange guys who sing the pirate songs during commercial breaks haha)

Thanks for linking up to Things I've Done Thursday!

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is so great! Thank you for posting a tutorial. My 3 year old wants to be a pirate too. But not just any pirate. He wants to be Jake. Thanks again!

Athena said...

This is a super costume. Thanks for linking to Success U @ TheStuffOfSuccess.com

WCreativeDesigns said...

I'm a follower from the SSH blog. I am really excited to see this blog as I'm making my son a pirate costume for Halloween so this gives me some great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I woul love it it you came by my blog for a visit.
http://wentzellscreativedesigns.blogspot.com

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Hey! I featured this today! Check it out here.

Grab a "featured" if you'd like.

Have a great weekend!

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

Unknown said...

Fantastic! And it's obvious that your son loves it. :) My little guy thinks his daddy should be a pirate, so I may use some of these ideas for whipping up his costume. I'd love for you to link this here:

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/fall-craft-challenge-5-kids-craft-or.html