Welcome to BLOCK WEEK hosted by A Couple of Craft Addicts. Blocks are so versitile, and great for crafting. What a perfect shape, right? Well...we decided that this week would be devoted to the block. Every project this week will have something to do with the block shape in one way or another and we will be having a great giveaway at the end of the week. So make sure you take notes and pay attention to each craft (jk). But do tune in each day for a new idea.
The first craft I wanted to share with you is a simple craft but very useful and has a great impact. It is picture blocks.
Here is what you need:
Go to Home Depot or your local hardware store and buy a 2x4. I had the wonderful people of Home Depot cut my 2x4 into 6 inch pieces and I ended up with around 15 pieces for around $3.
-3x5 inch pictures that you would like to display, make sure you print them in matte finish not glossy (the glossy will smear)
-a hand sander
-stickers or embellishments of your choice
1. Use your hand sander to sand all the sides of your blocks. Just get rid of the rough edges.
2. Paint your blocks on all the sides leaving a square on the face of the block. If you want to put pictures on both sides leave a square on each face side.
3. While you are waiting for the paint to dry use a corner punch to round the edges of your pictures (optional but it looks finished)
4. Once the paint has dried use the sand paper to distress the edges of your block by hand. You can do heavy distressing or light or none. It just depends on the look you want.
5. On the unpainted square apply a layer of mod podge and glue your picture to the block. Make sure you smooth out any bubbles. Then apply a thin layer of mod podge over the top of your picture.
6. Once your picture is dry apply your embellishment or sticker and enjoy.