Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Silly Picture Puzzle Blocks

Jessica has some really great ideas for our block themed week.  I, on the other hand, found myself struggling to make something awesome that I hadn't seen done before.  Yesterday I saw a fun idea in the Disney Family Fun magazine.  Sure, it's not my own idea, but these blocks looked like too much fun to pass up!  This is a perfect project for small children but would also make a great little addition to someones desk if you're looking for a silly gift.

Supplies needed:
-Pictures (ideally of familiar people taken in front of the same background from the same distance)
-Big play stacking blocks (I used a few of my daughter's Mega Bloks)
-Mod Podge and brush

**You could do something similar with clips from a magazine or just one person instead of your entire family.

I started by taking some pictures of myself, my husband, and my daughter in our back yard.  I just went out to the yard and asked them to let me take a few pictures.  I asked my daughter to make some funny faces

**Unlike in our pictures, your clothes ideally should be bright with contrasting colors and patterns to make your blocks fun.  Costumes or dress up clothes would be another fun idea.
I went inside and cropped the photos so we were all the same size and then printed them on cardstock

My daughter loves showing off her belly button so I used that picture for one of our middle blocks.
I borrowed some blocks from my daughter's Mega Bloks set.
I chose four sided blocks but any size block would be suitable.  The magazine
example only had two sides.


I measured the blocks and then cut our pictures into pieces that would fit on the faces of each block.  Obviously dimensions will vary depending on the size of block you are using.

Use Mod Podge to glue the pictures onto the blocks.

My very helpful daughter joined in on the fun!
Let your blocks dry and then have fun stacking them together!

 

8 comments:

Susie B said...

What a fun idea! This would be a great fathers day gift!

Etcetorize said...

This is such a cute idea. Definitely going to try to steal some blocks and give it a go.

Jessica Stoker said...

I love these, great craft.

Jayna Rae said...

Love it! Found you over at UCreate Kids. I have a ton of these Mega blocks, so I am sure that this will be a fun little project for us in these cold months.

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

What a brilliant idea! I am looking forward to giving this a go with my kids!

Partycraft Secrets said...

What a great idea - I'm going to try this with my kids over the school holidays!

Sierra @ H is for Homeschooling said...

What a great idea! I just made one of these today but with 3 blocks and our faces instead. I blogged about it and linked back to your site for a tutorial :)

http://his4homeschooling.blogspot.com/2012/08/build-face-blocks.html

Thanks again for sharing your creativity!

Laura Killgour said...

Hey! I blog about tips for displaying printed instagram photos. I often look around to find cool and different ways to display photos so I can blog about it. The idea that you have got here is awesome, thank you for sharing and thank you for the inspiration!