Friday, February 4, 2011

Wowzer Wednesday-Potato Printing

Hey everyone, I know it's Friday so this Wowzer Wednesday is a little late but I have a good excuse. I have been sick in bed with the flu for the last 2 days. I know everyone hates being sick but I especially hate being sick when you are a mom. Feeling so helpless, not able to take care of your babies, ahhh it is the worst. Thanks to a good husband and lots of OJ I am back on my feet and feeling better.

So onto the post. This week I decided to try making potato print t-shirts with my kids. My daughter is only 16 months so she is a little young for this project but my son Jackson had a blast (he is almost 3). Potato stamping is so easy. All you need is some russett potatoes, fabric paint, and a shirt. Then cut the potatoes in half, either length wise or across (hot dog or hamburger as I like to call it) and create a shape using a sharp knife or metal cookie cutter. Then you need to let the potatoes dry out on a paper towel to help the paint stick. Once dry, use a sponge brush to paint on the potato shape, and then stamp it on the shirt, let it dry and you are done. So easy right?
Did you notice the shirt is the dyed one from my last Wowzer Wed? I finally figured out something to do with it!



Well here are a couple of tips. . .
1. BE CAREFUL. I am very careful using the exact o knife and I still managed to cut myself 2 times. Thanks to cars band aids no blood was passed onto the potatoes or the shirts. Potatoes are tough but once you slice the blade will run right through it so take your time and don't apply too much pressure.
2. Painting on fabric is not like painting on paper. I decided to do a little free hand work when I was done stamping. Big NO NO. The paint did not go on smooth because the fabric has fibers that spread. Thankfully I don't mind the messy lines but if I could do it again I would make a stencil out of freezer paper.
**To use freezer paper check out FREEZER PAPER STENCILING under the labels side bar

Other than that it is a great project and something fun for kids to do. My son was so proud of his shirt when he was done he walked around showing everyone.

If you want more information I got the idea from Martha Stewart (of course). http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/potato-stamp-shirt

No comments: