Thursday, February 17, 2011

Wowzer Wednesday-Missing Buttons?

For my birthday I really wanted a leather jacket. Now I am too poor to pay for a real leather jacket and I live in Arizona so it is not really practical to own one. Therefor I settle on a faux leather jacket. I found a really cute one at Burlington Coat Factory but it was too big. So after a big of research I found out the same jacket was at Macy's. I bought it online and when I received it the M was too small. So the large too big, Medium too small. I decided instead of risking another failure I would return it to Macy's myself and find something else. That is when I found an amazing faux leather jacket. Amazing. Way better than the first. I tried it on and it fit like a glove but there was a small scratch on the sleeve. So I found another in the same size and took it home, only to find out that the zipper was broken and the cashier left the security sensor on it. So back to the store again. This time I took it to a different Macy's and was lucky to find they had several jackets in the same size and color. So a simple exchange. But as I was checking out the cashier made me aware that someone had taken all the buttons off the jacket where the hood was attached. (So much for looking over my purchase). I told her I would just grab another one, there were plenty in my size. But then she informed me that someone had taken all the buttons off every one of the jackets. Well I really love the jacket and I know how to sew buttons so I figured I would buy it anyway, at a discount of course. This got me thinking. . . everyone should know how to sew a button. I know it seems like a simple task but so many people, including my husband who will never read this, don't know how to sew on a button.

Hence here is a step by step guide to sewing on a button, Jessica style. There are a lot of ways to sew on a button, but here is how I do it.

1. Pick your buttons. In my case I didn't have enough of the same button but the buttons are on the inside of the coat so it doesn't really matter.
2. Figure out where you are going to place your button. The thread was still attached to the previous button spots on my jacket so this was easy.
3. Take the same colored thread and a sewing needle. Thread the needle and tie a knot in the end of the thread to hold it in place. (This step isn't necessary but I like it).
4. Place your button in the spot you want it and pull the needle through a small portion of the fabric, pulling the needle up through one of the button holes.

5. Pull the needle through the other button hole and a small bit of fabric on the underside of the button.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until your button is secure. I usually do it about 5 times. I also try to go through the same spot in order to keep the fabric straight and have clean lines.
7. Once your button is secure pull the needle through the stitches on the underside of the button and loop it back through the thread to make a knot. I usually do this 2 times.

Your done!

Before:

After

No comments: