Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Word to the Wise



Here is round two of the hoodie trials. Let me just preface by telling you why I made another one so soon. This is something that every seamstress should know. 1. Wash your fabric before you use it. Why might you ask? First because there may be chemicals that have sunk into the fibers, and second to prevent any shrinkage. Well, I often ignore this cardinal rule because I am lazy. I wish I hadn't this time. The cute hoodie I created was flannel and cotton. I made a 2T size which should have fit my daughter perfectly as she is only 16 months old but I didn't wash the fabric first and therefore after the first washing it was too small. That didn't stop me entirely for making her wear it a second time. I shoved her sweet little arms in and it fit fine once it was on but when it came time to take it off we had to call in reinforcements. With dad helping and a lot of wiggling and maneuvering we finally got the hoodie off. Needless to say, it was time to retire to the used clothing box for the next little girl. Short lived life so far but still cute while it lasted.

So round two. This time I decided to leave it open so that it would be easy to get on and off. I had a plan going into the project to jazz it up a bit with some ruffles but once I got started the project took on a life of it's own. I think that is part of designing, having a basic idea but allowing for flexibility. By the end I had not only added to the from as I had intended but also around the hood, on the sleeves, and around the bottom; which was a late addition and I had to pick out the bottom seam to attach it...I HATE PICKING OUT SEAMS. I know that it is a part of sewing but I always feel a little bit like a failure when I have to pick out a seam. The addition of a few buttons to the front for closure gave it the finishing touch I was hoping for. Very girly, a little trendy, and totally wearable I am pleased with the end result.


I think I am going to try one more time for the pull over hoodie and make one for my son. I am thinking Dr. Seuss inside. Kaufman has a great line of Dr. Seuss fabrics right now.


http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=d3f8ce5d-106c-4ba2-b82d-87467e302eb6

This same hoodie is available in my etsy shop.

2 comments:

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

The judges chose this as one of the top Ten in the Pattern Remix Challenge. Now its time to vote :)

http://www.mesewcrazy.com/2011/06/top-ten-pattern-remix-contest-vote.html

Good luck!

Aubrey Leong said...

This is so cute! Saw this on the pattern remix at Me So Crazy. I have this pattern but I've yet to make it. I love your take on it!

I'm your newest follower! I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me as well {if ya want;)} Thanks!
- Aubrey
www.craftychicka.blogspot.com