Monday, April 23, 2012

Simple Rosette Necklace

This past week I was at the SNAP conference in Utah.  I had a great time and learned so much but it will take a little while for me to recap the event.  In the meantime I'll be sharing some of the projects I completed in preparation for the event.

Last year I was making a lot of rosette necklaces but was bored with the trend so I wasn't wearing any of them myself.  I've gone back to loving this style of necklace and wanted to make myself something to wear during the conference.  
I used scrap fabric to make rosettes and hot glued them onto white felt.  I did not draw a template on the felt for this necklace but if it's your first time making this style of necklace I would recommend taking that extra step.  You don't want to end up with an odd shape after you get all your rosettes glued together.
I trimmed the loose threads, cut the white felt backing around the edges, and added a couple of embellishments.
The project was going smoothly until I realized I did not have a chain for the necklace.  I spent almost an hour attaching little rings together.

To attach the chain I glued a piece of felt over each end on the back of the necklace.

I attached a clasp and my necklace was done.
I was wearing the necklace during a photography class and was lucky enough to get my friend, Katie of Sweet Rose Studio, to take a pretty picture of me.  I love it!
photography by Sweet Rose Studio
I just might be wearing more of these necklaces this year!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

How great is this necklace!! I also love to do crafts and sewing. I just started a blog and would love for you to join me. I'm giving away a Tooth Fairy Pillow Wed. please come by www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com