Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sewing with Sergers - My Daughter's Bird Dress

I had no problem figuring out what I wanted to sew with my serger first.  I'm a huge Lil Blue Boo fan.  I love Ashley's blog and we adore her clothing line.  My daughter loves the clothes because they are so comfortable.  I love them because they are so cute and very durable.  I was so excited when I met Ashley last year at the Creative Estates Conference.  She is incredibly sweet!  My daughter's favorite article of clothing was her Lil Blue Boo bird dress.  One day last year I found my daughter hiding behind the curtains in my husband's office.  I asked her to come out and she said she didn't want me to see what she had done to her bird dress.  While wearing the dress she completely shredded the bottom half with scissors.  My sweet little two year old completely destroyed her favorite dress.  She was really sad and asked if Ashley could make her another bird dress.  My daughter was so distraught she made a little video for Ashley.



"I'm really sorry I messed up my bird dress.  Please make me another one Ashley."

My first serger project was using Lil Blue Boo's Sienna dress pattern to make my daughter a dress.

Just a quick tip on where I pick up tees to upcycle - Target has a great clearance section and usually always has a clothing coupon available online! 
For the dress I used fabric from two shirts purchased at Target.  Both shirts were bought with coupons and ended up only costing $2 total. 
I also used fabric from a shirt I bought at CVS last summer.  The drug store usually always has random tees for close to nothing!
I started by printing and cutting my pattern for the dress.
Then I cut the fabric pieces.
I was excited to use my serger but really nervous.  I was amazed when I finished the threading process.  I think this was the step I was most scared of.  I'm not going to lie, I started just after my daughter went to bed at 8:00 pm.  It is now 1:30 am!  The most time consuming part of this project was threading the serger.
Once it was threaded I danced around my office like a crazy person.  I was so excited!  Then I remember that I hadn't started sewing yet.
I followed the Lil Blue Boo pattern and had absolutely no problems.  Ashley does a great job making her patterns easy to follow.

The dress is perfect and I can't wait to show it to my daughter tomorrow!  I can't believe how easy it was to use the serger once I had it threaded.  I ended up using only three threads and one needle.  I'm terrified at the thought of adding needles and attempting different stitches.  But for now I'm happy with my first project.  The seams are so pretty!

Although the sewing is done, the dress is not completely finished.  Tomorrow morning I'm going to freezer paper stencil a bird on the front.  I'll share pictures when I have it totally done.

No comments: