Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Elli Dress-An apron dress remix

This weeks WOWZER Wednesday features a pattern remix. I love these. Have you seen all the remixes for the Junebug dress on Project Run and Play last week? Amazing. I have actually been working on a remix for that dress for a while but I am still trying to work out how I want to make the skirt so I didn't get it in by the deadline. Oh well...for the future. Anyways back to the remix I actually did make.

I started with a basic apron dress pattern for the top adding a ric rac trimmed ruffle across the front. Then came the remix. I was instantly in love with this bustle skirt from
Sumo Sweet Stuff.

It is just adorable. So I thought why not put that on the bottom of an apron dress. I used her tutorial for the skirt portion with my own minor alterations and added an apron to the front with ric rac trim. Then for the straps I created these button flap straps. I love this new take on the original knot straps. I used a thin piece of bias tape fabric to make the squares and then simply pulled the strap through the square and buttoned in the back.





I love it. It is so girly. With all the ruffles and the twirl factor is amazing.

Elizabeth thought it was a tutu dress which cracks me up because the girl cannot say no to a tutu. Thanks for the inspiration Sumo!

13 comments:

A To Zebra Celebrations said...

cute blog! first time visitor :) you can link on my blog every Tuesday: http://www.atozebracelebrations.blogspot.com/2012/01/totally-cute-crafts-tuesday.html

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

This is really cute! I couldn't get my project remix done in time either :(. Oh, well. Didn't get to the boys week challenge either...maybe next time!!

Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

Melanie
www.bearrabbitbear.com

Liz said...

This is such a lovely dress!

Laurie @ Laurie's Little Bits of Creativity, etc. said...

Soooo cute! My granddaughters would love this. Vising via tatertots and jello weekend wrap up party. First time visitor and new follower. Thanks for sharing.

Gabrielle said...

Gorgeous! Love the ruffle details, the twirl factor, and the colours!

Nichole said...

That is gorgeous! Love the fabric choices!!

www.bluebirdandtheboy.blogspot.com

very merry vintage style said...

Beautiful, adorable ruffles! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday. Hope you'll be back this week--
Mary

raising4princesses said...

those colors are so eye-catching and whimsical. I love the girly look of this...exactly what little girls need more of. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm having a link party on my blog right now if you want to share this idea. Here's the link if you're interested. http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/2012/01/t-time-54-and-link-party.html Have a lovely day, Maria

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Adorable!!! Love the bright fabric of the skirt teamed with the pastels in the top. Very clever that you've been able to remix patterns. I'd love you to share this dress (and any others) at my ongoing linky that's exclusively for Girls' Dresses.... http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-dresses-for-girls.html

Anonymous said...

I don't know what's cuter...the dress or the model...okay, fine, they are both equally adorable! I love it! Thanks for linking to Totally Tutorial Tuesdays. :)

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

I just love this colorful and happy dress! I have been working on a little ruffled dress too. You have some really cute projects!

Michelle said...

That is soooo sweet!

Just Jaime said...

Great color choice! Love how fluffy it is!

If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.htm