Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How to make hair like Jack's!


About a month ago I was at Costco with my kids and we browsed the Halloween costumes for ideas. Jackson immediately wanted the Jack Sparrow costume. At that time it was only $15 so I figured "what the heck" and bought it expecting him to change his mind by Halloween. Well he didn't. He loves it and wears it almost every day. Talk about getting my money's worth.

The costume is decent but needed a few adjustments. One thing that I noticed first off was the hair. It was stringy and light brown. SO NOT JACK SPARROW. So I changed it. I used this beautiful brown yarn that had hints of red and black. I cut it into long pieces and bunched them into groups of 10-15 strings. Then I used clear rubber bands to hold the yarn in place. Some of the bunches I braided, and some I just made into loose pony tails. In the front I left a few loose strands that I strung beads onto.



 Then I took a bandanna and some red felt. I took strips of felt that I sewed the yarn to, sandwiching the yarn in between two strips. Then I sewed the felt strips to the bandanna in four clusters; two on the front and one on each side going towards the back.






It is perfect and he LOVES wearing the hair. He is officially Captain Jack.

8 comments:

Jilly said...

Well, my brother started same type of work, for his Christmas function, and he really enjoy to watch and working so fast to wear it soon.
replica watches

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

The hair makes the man :)

Ruthie Hart said...

yarn!!! what a great idea!!!!!!

Crafty Mischief said...

This is great! My son is being Jack Sparrow too. I'm working on a wig of my own. Great minds think alike I guess! Thanks for sharing, I found you on Fabric Bows and More.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

I know a couple little pirates who would love this! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

PaperVine said...

Great idea - thanks for sharing. I will be making this for my little pirates!
Visiting from Design Dazzle.
Lowri

very merry vintage style said...

Just too cute! You're featured today on my Share the Love Link party. Stop by and grab a button!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi I justed loved this so I featured it for WorkShop Wednesday! Thanks for sharing!