Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Guest Post: Sarah from Emmyloubeedoo

Hellooo Craft Addicts!

I'm so happy to be here! I jumped at the chance to share a sewing project meant just for us grown gals! Yes, please!

My name is Sarah and I have a little blog called EmmylouBeeDoo. I have a sweet baby girl who is the usual recipient of the things I sew (because she's too young to argue otherwise), but I like to squeeze in goodies for myself here and there, too.


When I saw this free pattern offered by Dixie DIY, I knew it was the perfect project to whip up quickly. Dixie's patterns are a breeze to sew, while still being on trend and super adaptable to your current wardrobe. Win win.

sad model is sad.

So when I saw this pattern, I knew I wanted to alter it just ever so slightly. Here's the line drawing:











I knew I wanted to make it longer in general, and also to lengthen the sleeve somehow. I was afraid the sleeve would cut me at the widest part of my perfecty chiseled arms.

*crickets*

lol, just kidding. I wanted them longer. That's all. So I considered a few options, but ultimately settled on the simplest - just adding length to the cuff!

So I'm going to show you how to make these small, easy changes to an already easy, fun pattern.


Who's with me!? OK!


First, go download and print your free pattern. And while you're there, check out Dixie's other free patterns! Fabulous! But then come back here so we can do this one.


Tape and cut out your pattern, then display it proudly on your dining room table:






Now tape a piece of paper (I'm using Swedish Tracing Paper - I swear by the stuff and I buy it on eBay religiously) to the bottom of the pattern FRONT. Make sure it's a big ol' piece of paper.




Now line up your ruler along the straight side (the side to be cut on the fold) and add 4 inches to the hem. For reference here, I am 5'7" and I cut the size Large. It's big, but that's what I wanted. 4 inches was just right for me, but play with it if you think you want more or less length.


Mark 4 inches down from original hemline.

Here's where some funny business starts. I wanted a slight, slight handkerchief hem, so I knew I needed a straight hem, not a curved one, as the pattern is drafted.

So I lined up my ruler with the 4 inch mark I made. Then, in order to draw as straight a line as possible, I matched up a ruler line with the bottom of the pattern piece, and just made sure the first inch or so lined up straight with my ruler. This is So. Hard. To explain. I hope that the picture below will help.


If you have any idea what I just said, proceed by drawing a line from your 4 inch mark out as far as possible. Try to go beyond the pattern piece.





The photo below hopefully shows what the hey I'm talking about.




See how that pen line above goes out past the pattern piece? That will help in this next step.

You're going to measure down from the patterns outer edge to the line we just drew. If you have a see-through ruler, that extra bit of pen mark will help you make this line square.

Draw a vertical line down to your horizontal line:




Now, mark where the lines intersect:




Next, line up the mark you just made, above, with the point where the pattern turns to form the cap sleeve. Draw a line to connect:





Now, cut out your new pattern piece!






The process is the same for the BACK pattern piece, and I promise you, you can do both in much less time than I am taking to explain it. For reals. So, repeat the steps to make a new BACK pattern piece.


New FRONT and BACK

Ok, now we're going to make the CUFF longer.

Draw yourself a nice big right angle on paper of your choosing:




Abut the CUFF pattern piece to that right angle, and measure down an inch and a half on both short sides:




Use some super fabulous pattern weights to hold the pattern piece down while you draw the horizontal line connecting the inch and a half lines you just drew:



Cut out your new CUFF pattern piece!




There's no changes made to the collar piece, so you're done! Gather all your new pieces, follow Dixie's perfect instructions, and make yourself a super cute top!






Mid-trot?

For inquiring minds, the fabric I used is an ITY knit from Denver Fabrics. It's got a pretty heavy drape & I absolutely love it for this shirt. I'd really recommend a weighty fabric for this project if you want the handkerchief effect. A lighter weight fabric will have a more billowy look, methinks.

I used my serger and my sewing machine for this top. It's absolutely doable sans serger, though - don't be intimidated by knits!




Heather and Jessica, thank you so much for having me! This series has been so inspiring and fun to watch! I hope I can come visit again sometime!

If anyone has questions, pop on over and shoot me a line! I'd be glad to help! :D


Cheers!



2 comments:

dixie said...

looks awesome! and that green color is great on you.

Weaveron Textile said...

awesome fabric collection...to get more fabric collection click on https://www.weaveron.com