Friday, September 2, 2011

Incredibly Easy Alteration

I recently lost some weight.  Kudos to me but that's not the point of this post.  In losing a few pounds most of my shorts were a couple of sizes too big.  I really didn't want to go and buy new shorts so close to the end of summer so I decided to try and take them down a size.  I started with my favorite pair of khaki shorts.  I'll be honest, I was scared to touch these with my sewing machine.  I didn't want to try altering the shorts but I also didn't want to pay to have them permanently altered.  I also couldn't just go around wearing the wrong size shorts!  They were at least a few inches too big in the waist.
Instead of cutting the fabric I simply lined up the existing seam and stitched right next to it with my sewing machine.  I've seen this method used on shirts before but never on pants. 
I didn't cut off the excess fabric because I was really nervous I had just ruined my favorite pair of shorts.  I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.
They fit perfectly!
Maybe I'll start taking a size off of everything in my closet!
 

1 comment:

Cassondra Smith said...

I have to ask... Which seam did you use? I would hate to mess something up and have one leg much smaller than the other LOL