Tuesday, August 9, 2011

WholePort Creativity Expo Project - Using Lace on a Picture Mat

This morning I had a lot of fun transforming an old picture frame into a pretty gift for my mother in law's birthday.
Last month we told you about WholePort, an online company that sells really fun crafting supplies.  We shared the details about their Creativity Expo and hope some of you were able to participate!  Jessica and I recently received our supplies and were very excited to make something!  We didn't request anything specific for our projects and let WholePort decide which supplies we would use for our expo entries.

Jessica and I both received surprise packages containing cotton embroidery Happy Notes lace trim.  The lace is so pretty and versatile!  We both had a few different project options in mind. 

Picture borrowed from WholePort.

I didn't purchase anything for my project.  I found an old frame with a Disney print and decided it needed a makeover. 
I used mtallic gold spray paint to completely change the look of the frame.  I also painted cardstock for the back of the frame instead of purchasing a new photo mat.
I had the perfect picture to go with the music notes on the lace.  My daughter loves to play the piano at her grandma's house.  Considering this is a gift for my mother in law, I decided to use a picture of my daughter playing her piano last year.  I used double sided tape to hold the photo in place.  A thin strip of hot glue held the lace on the handmade mat perfectly.
I love how this turned out!  I'm sure my mother in law will love it too!  It will look perfect in her music room!

The project photo will be posted to WholePort's Creativity Expo Contestants Facebook Album soon.  Please take a second to "like" the picture!  While you're there check out all the other wonderful projects made for the expo!

Don't forget you can receive 10% off your purchase at WholePort through the end of this month using our special discount code (CRAFTFUN10).

I'm linking this post here.
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome article, it was simply superb, Thanks for the share. This post has wonderful stuff. Keep posting!


Upright Pianos

Tanya Anurag said...

Nice transformation :) I am sure your MIL will love it.

I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @Kreative Korner. Would love to see some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you!

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

Helena Davey said...

Very pretty! It never occurred to me to paint the cardstock too when repainting frames... Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to reuse a frame you already have. The lace is a fun addition!