Friday, July 22, 2011

Fun Find Friday - Dora the Explorer Cupcakes

If you have children and allow them to watch television I'm sure you've seen Nickelodeon's commercial with a woman and children making Dora cupcakes.  Each time my daughter sees the commercial she begs me to let her make Dora cupcakes.  The project looked fairly easy and kid friendly in the commercial so I finally agreed to add the ingredients to my shopping list.
Nickelodeon's Dora Cupcakes - picture and instructions found at Nick Jr
Earlier this week my nephew came over for a sleep over.  My daughter anxiously waited all day for him to arrive because I told her she could make the Dora cupcakes with him.

The Nickelodeon website has full instructions and nutritional information for the cupcakes.  Go here for the printable version.

My daughter and nephew were very excited to get started on our project!
We baked the cupcakes and let them cool for awhile.  We started the decorating process by making Dora's hair. I used the printable template under wax paper on a cookie sheet.
We used melted chocolate chips instead of chocolate melting wafers to make the hair.  I chose not to outline the hair with the darker chocolate simply because my "helpers" wanted to move on to the next step.
I refrigerated the pan of Dora's hair while we frosted the cupcakes.  My daughter and nephew did a great job frosting...
...until my daughter decided she was the official taste tester!
I didn't take pictures of us completing the next few steps.  I had two messy kids and honestly was just trying to get this little project wrapped up.  My daughter and nephew didn't seem to mind that our cupcakes turned out looking slightly different than the beautiful ones they saw in the commercial.
This was a fun project and would have been great paired up with a Dora Summertime Coloring Page or Pinwheel Paper Craft!
 

2 comments:

Tina said...

Heather, they turned out so cute! You have such patience! I love the pic's of the kids making them. Robbie had a great time with you all.

Anonymous said...

These are so cute and look very yummy! Great job and I love the pics of the kids. They are so cute!