Monday, June 13, 2011

No Sew Modest Skirt

I bought this adorable skirt from Forever 21 for just $16, only problem is it was a little bit too short. SOLUTION, add to the bottom right? But the question is what should I add and how should I add it. Should I add fabric, ruffles, lace, tulle? Should I sew it on, glue it, button it? After going through all the scenarios in my mind I finally decided on some sweet vintage lace that I had lying around. I thought it would bring some color and interest to a somewhat simple yellow skirt. But how should I attach it?
Enter Heat and Bond. Not just for appliques. I cut a thin strip and ironed it to my skirt about 1/2 an
inch from the bottom.




Then I cut my lace the length of the skirt. The best part about this skirt is it unbuttons all the way down so I could lay the skirt out totally flat. Once I got the right length of lace I used some liquid stitch on each end to keep the lace from fraying. Then I peeled off the top of the heat and bond and ironed on the lace.
Modest skirt extension no sewing needed.

11 comments:

rebekah said...

That is a great idea! I have been looking for an idea of how to fix a dress that I bought with the same problem.

Blissful & Domestic said...

What a great fix:>

MJ @ MD School Mrs said...

This is perfect! I love Forever 21, but I am either too tall (or too old. or too modest!) for their skirts. I adore this idea. I'm pinning it and can't wait to try it...thank you for sharing!

Come on over to visit my blog and see how to make healthy ice cream...no ice cream maker required! ;)

MJ @ MD School Mrs

Serendipity Handmade + Vintage said...

Too cute! It turned out great!

Cindy said...

Very cute!!! I love the color.

A Few Pennies said...

I love this one too! Pretty color.

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

Adorable! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who skips sewing when it's not necessary. :-)

Megan said...

so adorable and a really great idea!!

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

What a fantastic idea! Looks like it was made that way!
shannonsews.blogspot.com

Katie said...

I Love what you did to this skirt! I just wanted to thank you for linking up and let you know that I am featuring you on Sew Woodsy tomorrow! Please make sure you grab a featured button and link up a new projects!

JudyBug said...

Anything is cuter with lace!