Monday, May 23, 2011

Flip Flop Fun Series - Sparkly and Interchangeable

Welcome to the first day of our Flip Flop Fun series!  We are very excited to show you some fun and easy ways to start your summer with a great flip flop collection!  The tutorials will range in shoe size (infant, child, adult) and will be for both girls and boys (okay, maybe only one boy idea, but it's really cute!) this week so stay tuned for more fun!

Saturday morning I went to Old Navy and picked up five pairs of flip flops for only one dollar each.  I managed to fight through the crowd and find a few bright colors in my own size and two pairs for my daughter.  The rumor I heard while waiting in line at Old Navy was that the one dollar sale will be appearing online soon.  Woo hoo! 

I had so much fun turning my daughter's plain bright pink flip flops into glittery interchangeable sandals.  These would be perfect for adults too of course with out the cupcakes or pirates.  Or maybe, like me, you are slightly obsessed with Disney and would love a pair of pirate shoes for your next summer vacation to Disneyland!


Supplies:
-flip flops
-Glitter (Martha Stewart's is AWESOME!)
-Glitter glue (the only experience I have is with Martha's but I'm sure there are other options out there)

I used the brush attached to the glue lid to apply a layer of glue to the flip flop strap.  Don't worry about this being too messy on the strap (you can use a q-tip to clean the unwanted glitter later).
Sprinkle glitter all over the glue.  Remember that glitter is messy!!  I did this step over a newspaper and still ended up with glitter everywhere. 
I failed to take a picture but I used a q-tip to clean the edges around the strap for a more defined look with the glitter.  This really isn't necessary and if you're careful when applying your glue initially, your glitter will come out looking perfect with out any touch ups.

Next I used super glue to attach the back of a snap to each flip flop strap. 
I used cute ribbon to make bows for each shoe.  I put just a dab of super glue in the middle of the bow to be sure it won't come untied later. 
I glued a snap to the back of each bow.  I thought they would sit on the shoe funny if the snap was directly in the middle of the bow so the snaps are not centered on the backs of the bows. 
I found a few other fun embellishments in my craft room and glued snaps to the backs of them.
I am sure I will be making matching bows to coordinate with every cute outfit my daughter wears! 
This entire project was done with supplies I already had at home aside from the flip flops and took less than one hour to complete!

I'm linking this post here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I can't wait to do some for Payton and me. Thanks Heather and Jessica

Tina said...

I love them! I'm very interested to see the "boy" pair. That's what's a bummer about having a boy; there is not much crafty stuff that can be done for them, especially if they're older.