Monday, October 1, 2012

Cowboy Costume

October 1st, my favorite month. Aside from being on baby watch I whipped up a quick cowboy costume for Jackson for cowboy day at his preschool. He already had a base, a plaid shirt and jeans. All he needed was to cowboy it up a bit. So I made a vest using a shirt as a pattern. All you need is two front panels and 1 back panel. I used suede so I didn't even finish off the edges. I added a yellow felt star to the front. Then he needed some boots. This is a little more tricky.

Here is what I did:


 I started with brown suede and cut a pattern based on his calf width and the length of his lower leg.
 Then I cut a "u" shape for the bottom of the boot (the foot section).
 Next I used wonder under and ironed on some batting to both the leg and foot sections.
 I finished off the top of the boot with some bias tap, enclosing the batting and suede together. This also gets rid of a raw edge on the top of the boot.
 Then I attached the foot flap to the bottom of the leg piece with RST. Then fold the boot in half with RST and sew up the sides making a tube shape.

The boots fit over his shoes and the batting keeps them stiff and upright. We finished the look off with a foam hat from Joann's.
He loved it. He was so cute trying it on, telling me that "it looks great mom, thanks." And he wore it for 3 days straight. Pretty good for an hour project and no pattern. Maybe he will wear it for Halloween, probably not because the kid loves costumes and changes his mind daily.

No comments: