Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kids Dresser Redo

This week I took on one of my New Years Resolutions. I finally started my home makeover with a dresser redo. When I got married my husband's parents blessed us with many pieces of furniture, most of which they had had for many many years. I still have most of the pieces they donated to us including an old wood dresser and chest. Last week the dresser in my kids' room broke and instead of buying a new one I took the plunge and painted the old dresser. I have been wanting to do it for years and I finally got to it.
Here is what I did.

The dresser was unfinished wood so I didn't even sand except in a few rough spots.
Then I used Krylon spray primer to cover the whole thing. One spray can of primer was all it took.

Once that dried I began with the spray paint. I used Krylon spray paint in Jade. I found that I like Krylon the most. It sprays evenly and your hand isn't aching when you are done. Nice even coats, let dry, then spray again. It took 3 cans to cover the entire dresser and the drawer faces.
Next I mixed together a clear glaze with a little black paint. About 1 cup of glaze to 1/4 cup paint. (Maybe even less.) I used two rags to apply the glaze. The first rag was dipped in glaze and rubbed on the surface of the wood. Then I used the clean rag to wipe the glaze off.
Finally I went to Lowes and bought a few new drawer pulls.




I LOVE how it turned out. It was so easy too. The whole process took about 2 days. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to painting the dresser but now I am looking around my house for more furniture pieces to refinish!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This turned out great! And it's my favorite color. ;)

Unknown said...

How cute is this? And you know it's my favorite color!! When you're in AZ lets paint everything in my house this color! :)

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Jess,
Very nice job on redoing the dresser. Love the color that you did.

Allie Holcomb said...

I recently re-made a nightstand almost this exact color...I'm in love with this beautiful color! You did a great job. I love the way the final paint job looks. I'm a new follower of your blog- I absolutely love it!

-Allie @ adventuresofamiddlesister.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is fantastic, I did a dresser last week in a similar colour! Great taste :)

Youth Destination said...

Our UPSC coaching goes beyond the academic realm. We focus on enhancing critical thinking, analytical skills, and communication abilities, which are essential not only for the exam but also for a successful career in public service. Our supportive and motivating learning environment encourages interaction, discussion, and peer learning.