Sunday, December 18, 2011

Homemade Gifts-I Can Make That

Welcome to another edition of I CAN MAKE THAT.

Homemade gifts are tricky. I think they can go over one of two ways:
1. if done well the receiver may feel that it is a very special gift since it was homemade and full of heart.
2. if not done well the receiver might think..."oh what a cheap skate, can't even get me a real gift."

Well this year I took the homemade approach. Every year my husband's side of the family chooses a name out of a hat. That way we don't have to give to everyone. It is really fun to figure out what to give each other and since you just have one person to focus on you can really put some thought into the gift.

This year I drew my SIL Caitlin (she doesn't read this blog so I am not worried) but CAITIE IF YOU ARE READING THIS POST STOP!!! So back to the gifts. The first was the subway art with her last name on it. You can see that post here. Then I saw the perfect apron floating around Pinterest and instantly thought of her. She loves Harry Potter, we are talking the biggest fan. Read all the books several times points out all the missing parts in the movies. I bought the patch from Amazon and a genuine Harry Potter tie online (total cost for both $12). I wanted it to look genuine so I spent a little more on the items that make it a true Harry Potter item. At first I tried tying the tie but it was too big and bulky so I ended up cutting out a tie shape and sewing it on. All I did was trace a basic apron shape and curve the bottom. Then add a black gathered rectangle to make the bottom ruffle. Outline the whole apron in black bias tape, add your straps, add the little touches (tie, patch, pockets) and you are done.

Another gift that I made was a watch for my other SIL Marissa. She found this watch on Etsy for $70.

Cute watch but WOW on the price and I worry about buying something like a watch on Etsy. What it if doesn't work? So I told my MIL I could make one like it for her. I used this tutorial and it is REALLY easy to make. I couldn't find a watch face that I liked. I searched and searched (Michael's, Joann's, Hobby Lobby) no luck. So I used an old watch of mine that I never wear anymore. Then I used a skinny belt I already owned. All I had to buy was the rivets. I love it, I might even make one for myself out of another old watch.


Hopefully the girls will like the gifts and know that even though they may not cost much to make you can't put a price on something from the heart.

I have one more homemade gift to share on Thursday so please come back.

2 comments:

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

That is so clever and cute!!

Lauryn Ashli said...

LOVE harry potter.
thanks for sharing!
{love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com