Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Spider Web Headband

Tomorrow I'm hosting a Halloween play date for some of my daughter's little friends and their mommies.  In preparing for the party I completely forgot to make sure I had something festive to wear.  This is the first year I didn't spend time putting family costumes together.  My daughter is dressing up as Cinderella and she already had a really pretty Disney Cinderella dress that had only been worn once to Disneyland.  There was no reason for me to make anything other than a blue headband for her costume.

I decided to make myself a quick spiderweb headband to wear to the party tomorrow.  It turned out really cute and I'm sure the kids will think the spider on my head is funny! 
I started by using my sewing machine to stitch a web with black thread onto a piece of white felt.  I completely free handed the web while stitching.  I didn't trim any of my thread until the web was completely finished. 


Don't worry about mistakes...spider webs certainly aren't perfect!  You can always just cover your mistakes with the spider.
Once the web was done I used hot glue to sandwich ribbon between the web and another piece of white felt.
Be sure to glue around the border of the web because you want the pieces stuck together after you trim off the excess felt.  Be careful not to cut your ribbon when you trim the felt.

Use hot glue to attach your spider to the web.
Now you have a fun headband to wear trick or treating!
I'm linking this post here.
 

8 comments:

Wendy @ChoosingLoveAZ said...

Very cute idea!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

SUPER cute, Heather!!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Great idea. I think I may need to make myself one.

Anonymous said...

I love this and I am pretty sure it is within my sewing skill level, ha! Awesome idea!

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

SUPER cute!! Thanks for linking up this week!

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Maureen said...

I adore this!
I'd love for you to link up to my very first Fresh Friday Link party!
http://www.releasemecreations.com/2011/10/fresh-fridays-link-party.html

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Great idea! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Congrats you were featured! http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2011/11/linky-14.html
I was going make one of these, but just never got around to it, but I pinned it for next year.