Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Backpack and Supplies Makeover

This post was originally shared at Freckles Crafts Back to School series.  With school already starting I thought I should share the entire post here too.

When I completed the back pack set for the Back to School series, my daughter wasn't yet enrolled for preschool.  Some changes have happened since then...today was her first day!  I'm pretty much a nervous wreck today but am really excited about our new adventure.  With that in mind, I was very happy I had this new backpack set ready for her first day!

I had so much fun transforming these boring supplies into a fun school set!
I started with some basic school supplies purchased from the drug store - $5 backpack, mechanical pencils, 3 ring binder, composition notebook, and pencil carrying case.
I prepped the backpack by using a seam ripper to carefully remove the brand tag.  Then I cut off all the zipper pulls.  I initially planned on using my Cricut to make a fabric initial applique.  Instead I found a font online and simply traced my daughter's initial onto Heat n' Bond.  You don't need a cutting machine to applique! 

I simply ironed the Heat n' Bond initial to patterned fabric, cut it out, and then ironed the applique to the backpack.  Be careful when ironing on the backpack (a low heat setting is suggested). 
I used my sewing machine to stitch around the initial.  This step is not necessary but I didn't really like how the black in the fabric blended with the backpack.  Purple thread helped make the initial stand out against the black.  To finish the backpack I tied coordinating fabric to the zippers.

The mechanical pencils were fun to embellish!  I removed the top of the pencil and then applied a thin layer of Mod Podge to the entire pencil.  I wrapped a strip of fabric around the pencil and then sealed the fabric with another layer of Mod Podge.  I only made two pencils but I'm sure older kids could use an entire pack for the school year!
The composition notebook received a makeover too.  I used Mod Podge and fabric to make the cover pretty!
I used the same technique for the pencil carrying case.  Mod Podge is awesome!
I didn't worry about cutting the fabric to fit over the snap until I had already fitted the fabric on the case.  It was much easier than I anticipated.  Once the initial layer of Mod Podge had been applied, I used an exacto knife to carefully cut the fabric away from the snap. 
Hopefully the new backpack set will keep my daughter excited for her first week of school!
I'm linking this post here.
 


No comments: