Monday, May 16, 2011

Wow Summer Treat

Here is a yummy summer treat that is both healthy and fun. Smoothie pops. My kids love them and they love to make them. It is basically just a smoothie recipe that I make all the time (my kids LOVE smoothies) that I put into dixie cups and stuck a Popsicle stick in the center. Then I put them in the freezer for about an hour. Once they are done freezing I rip off the dixie cup and the kids enjoy a creamy frozen treat.

Here is the smoothie recipe. It is not exact but you will get the main idea.

-frozen fruit. I like frozen strawberries, or the mixes you get from Costco
-juice. I like to use V8 fusions because it has both fruit and veggies in it
-fat free 1/2 and 1/2
-yogart. I use either vanilla or flavored to give it a little sweetness.
-1 scoop of vanilla protein powder.

Put the frozen fruit in the bottom of the blender. Add the yogart and protein powder. Pour in juice until it covers about half the fruit. Pour in 1/2 and 1/2 to cover the fruit. Mix it all up.

You can eat it just like this or make it into pops. I figure it is pretty healthy with no added sugars and servings of fruit, vegetables, dairy, and some protein. A complete meal in a fun treat.

No comments: