Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Looking for a new way to display your pictures? I am always trying to find creative ways to show off my favorite people (my family and friends). This idea came to me through a collection of resources. I knew it needed to be block related. I knew I wanted to do something with fabric covered sheet metal and I knew it had to be cute. Hence the block frame was created.
Here is what you need:
-2x4 wood any length you want (mine is 22 inches long)
-piece of sheet metal about 2 inches shorter than your block length
-stickers or vinyl lettering
-PICTURES OF YOUR FAV PEOPLE
1. Start by cutting into your wood block lengthwise (hotdog to speak in kindergarten language). You will need to cut about 1/3 the way through your wood piece. You just need a thin cut to slide your sheet metal into.
2. Paint your wood block on all the sides and distress the edges. You can use sandpaper to distress the edges or you can you distress ink (found at your craft store).
3. While you are waiting for the paint to dry cut a piece of fabric to cover your entire piece of sheet metal. Then you are going to use spray adhesive to glue the fabric to the metal. Make sure you don't have any bubbles or wrinkles. I created a kind of envelope style so I did have any exposed edges.
4. Now that your block is dry place your letter stickers or vinyl on the front. I wrote memories in vinyl but you can put anything you want. I think it would be cute to put "I Love Grandma" on there for mother's day maybe?
5. Now we need to create the magnets. I took fabric and covered some big plastic buttons using hot glue. Then I hot glued the magnet to the back. I also took a few fun buttons and just glued magnets to the back of those. Super easy but still cute and whimsical.
My son had so much fun playing with the button magnets and rearranging the pictures. I know it will be a big hit in the kid's room.