Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wowzer Wednesday - Shrinky Dinks gone wrong

Remember Shrinky Dinks? I feel like they were really popular when I was a kid. I remember them being such a fun craft project! I had a great (well, in my head it was great) idea to make a Shrinky Dink frame with my two year old daughter. I used a permanent black marker to trace some hearts onto a sheet and let her color them. I also traced her name and the year in a pretty font on the bottom of the sheet.

Then I cut the middle of the sheet out to look like a frame.

I put the cookie sheet in the oven and waited three minutes for the magic to happen. I planned on putting a red back, rhinestones, and magnets on the frame to make a super cute Valentine's gift. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out! The frame curled up and wouldn't flatten out after taking it out of the oven. After several redo attempts to heat it back up and try to make it flat, it looked like this:

Oops.

I'm not quite ready to try again but I have a cute project to try in March - a Shrinky Dink lucky charm bracelet like this:

For instructions on how to make the original, go here.
 

No comments: