Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pretty in Pink

I have not been sewing for very long. I dabbled in it in high school making a few skirts, and in college I made a love sac for my boyfriend. But I didn't really get into sewing until I had my daughter. There is something about little girls that really inspires me for new projects. Making children's clothing is relatively easy because you don't have to worry about body shape. I am learning more with each project, but here is what I have learned so far:

-it is all about basic shapes. Triangles, semicircles, and rectangles. You can make any basic piece of clothing using these shapes.
-if you don't use a french seam make sure to zigzag your edges. Nothing says homemade more than a frayed edge.
-kids clothing is whimsical, so have fun. Add a ruffle here or a button there. There are no rules, just play around and try lots of new things.
-Lastly, I usually let my fabric choice inspire my design. Or I find a design that I love and want to create.

For this project I followed the last principle. I love the basic elastic neckline because it is so easy to adjust to fit your model. I also love the bib fronts that we are seeing on so many designs these days. So I took a basic design and added my own flare. I doubled the sleeves to give it a layered look, I added pleats to the front for some movement, and I added the bib ruffle for added interest. I think it is the perfect Valentine's Day dress, but the best part is I picked a somewhat neutral fabric so she can wear it any time. I think I am addicted to designing now. I can't wait to start the next project.





3 comments:

Susie B said...

That is super cute! I really wish I had a sewing room! I would be sewing all of Little Bs clothes too! You are a wonderful seamstress! Keep it up, and keep posting. I love seeing what you come up with!

jor said...

This is adorable!

Brianna said...

Love it! Wish I was better in the sewing dept. to make stuff for my little one too! All my attempts fail.. oh well, maybe one day :)